Saturday, October 2, 2010

Thank God for Snow

I LOVE snow.
I miss snow so much.
My New England friends will be surprised to get this news from me. I lived in New England for almost 10 years and bought snow boots on the 8th year. I actually bought 3 pair of snow boots. I was shamed into it by my neighbor who giggled each time I went to a Girls Night Out in heels during the months of October through April.

I live in the south again. I still have a coat for each kind of wintery day, What was I going to do with my winter wardrobe in the south, I questioned. I have wool sweaters, socks, mittens, scarves and as you know, 3 pair of snow boots.

Pictured above, is of a snow that fell in the south two years ago. It was what, we New Englanders, call a "wet snow". That is the kind of snow that makes really great snowballs. Some New England snow insight; you need to wear water resistant gloves, shoes, hat and coat or you will be very cold, wet and misery sets in very quickly.

My hearty New England first-born son, ran to put on his snowsuit, gloves and snow boots after seeing the snow. He was the warmest, most prepared and best dressed child in all of the south on that snowfall. He caught snowflakes on black pieces of construction paper and looked at them under the microscope he got for Christmas. It was so fascinating for all of us. We later checked out some books from the library about snow and snowflakes.

Did I mention I was an Elementary School Teacher? I can get pretty nerdy when it comes to matching a teachable moment with research and expanding children's interest. My son and I fell in love with the story about Wilson "Snowflake" Bentley. Wilson Bentley spent most of his life trying to photograph snowflakes he caught. It is an incredible story. If you are interested look for the book by: Jackie Brigs Martin, "Snowflake Bentley". You can also click here to learn more.


No comments: